My Guide Website?
Las Vegas: Hoover Dam and Lake Mead Audio-Guided Tour1 Reviews
Uncover the Herculean struggle that brought the Hoover Dam into being and dig into the ancient past as you cruise around picturesque Lake Mead with this pair of audio-guided self-driving tours.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Las Vegas:If youʻre booking your trip to Las Vegas last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Las Vegas: Big Bus Hop-on Hop-off Sightseeing Tour
- From Las Vegas: Zion and Bryce Canyon Day Trip with Pickup
- From Las Vegas: Death Valley Day Tour
- Vegas: Hoover Dam Ultimate Tour with Lunch and Comedy Show
- LA: San Francisco, Yosemite, Vegas, & Hoover Dam 5-Day Trip
- Dig into the wild west history of Las Vegas
- Get great views of the incredible Hoover Dam
- Uncover billions of years of geologic history at Lake Mead
- Find out how ancient tribes survived such a harsh landscape
- Learn about famous explorers like John Wesley Powell
DescriptionThis bundle contains two tours: Vegas to the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. Start by downloading the Action Tour Guide app, which will function as your personal tour guide, audio tour, and map all in one. Purchase one tour per car, not per person. Everyone listens together! Note: This 30+ mile-long tour covers the essentials of Hoover Dam in 3-5 hours. Once downloaded, your journey to the colossal Hoover Dam begins on the Las Vegas Strip. As you drive through the Las Vegas Valley, delve into the city's wild beginnings, from its inception as a modest railway town to its early years as a bustling gambling hub. Hear how the Hoover Dam helped the struggling city survive. Behold the mighty Colorado River and follow the struggles to channel its raging power. Then, meet the figures behind the Hoover Dam project, including the imposing Frank 'Hurry Up' Crowe and the consortium called the Six Companies. The next stop is Boulder City, a federally-funded city, established for the Hoover Dam construction. Hear about the rugged and harsh conditions in which its workers lived. The Lake Mead Viewpoint, next, offers captivating views of the man-made lake born from the Hoover Dam. If you wish, you can take a hike on the Historic Railroad Hiking Trail that follows an old railroad route. Proceed to the Lakeview Overlook, another magnificent vantage point to appreciate Lake Mead's grandeur. As the dam draws near, opt for a stop at the Boulder Dam Bridge Overlook for a breathtaking view of the Hoover Dam. Then, you can either drive across the dam or park and walk along its impressive rim! Finally, arrive at the Hoover Dam Lookout on the dam's far side and consider its impact on the Southwest and its future. Your tour of the dam concludes here. For Lake Mead, your tour commences at the visitor center. Hear stories of geological history and metamorphosis, while viewing multicolored rock formations. Unearth Indian tribes and admire how they diverted water for survival! Also pass the hot springs which Paleo-Indians deemed therapeutic and sacred. Proceed past the Las Vegas Wash, a valuable stopping point and which helped early farmers and miners eke out a living. Bring to life explorers like John Wesley Powell, who bravely explored the uncharted portions of the Colorado River. Uncover how Lake Mead’s namesake Elwood Mead went against the grain pushing for revolutionary water management practices. See the Hamblin-Cleopatra Volcano and discover how it broke into three pieces! Learn about the animals that call this area home, including tarantulas and Gila Monsters. Then, enter Valley of Fire State Park and witness the stunningly red rock formations which make this landscape famous. Your tour concludes here.
IncludesAudio-guide Offline map Lifetime validity All-day support line
- This tour is a self-guided mobile app tour with a map, audio stories, and images.
- Access the tour on the Action Tour Guide app (separate from the Get Your Guide app).
- Use the unique password received after booking to download & preview your specific tours before you arrive.
- Start at the Starting Point. Follow the tour route. All audio stories play automatically based on your location.
- Flexible schedule: Use it on any day and at any time, or over multiple days. No need to rebook if your travel plans change.
- Lifetime access: Use it on your next trip here! This tour never expires.
- Driving tours: Use one tour per car and connect to the car speakers.
- Get support by calling, chatting, or emailing - all day long.