My Guide Website?
Self-Guided Driving Audio Hoover Dam Tour from Las Vegas2 Reviews
Discover the amazing, harrowing, and downright unbelievable true story behind the Hoover Dam’s construction and see the landmark up close with this easy self-guided driving tour app.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Las Vegas:If youʻre booking your trip to Las Vegas last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Walk or drive across the Hoover Dam
- Capture jaw-dropping photos of the dam from the Boulder Bridge Overlook
- Get the full story behind the design and construction of this marvel
- Hear about the daring feats of the famous high scalers
- Tour at your own speed, without the hassle of a bus
DescriptionStart by downloading the Action Tour Guide app, which will function as your personal tour guide, audio tour, and map all in one. Purchase one tour per car, not per person. Everyone listens together! Note: This 30+ mile-long tour covers the essentials of Hoover Dam in 3-5 hours. Once downloaded, your tour to the Hoover Dam will begin in fabulous Las Vegas, right on the Vegas Strip. As you cruise through the Las Vegas Valley, you’ll get a glimpse into the city’s appropriately Wild West beginnings, from its start as a humble rail town to its early days as a rowdy gambling den. You’ll also find out how the Great Depression and the Hoover Dam changed the city forever. Once you leave Vegas behind, you’ll get acquainted with the mighty Colorado River—which played the dual role of lifegiver and destructive force of nature before the Hoover Dam’s construction. Ever wonder what it took to tame such a powerful force? You’ll find out here! Then, get to know the big names behind the Hoover Dam project, like Frank “Hurry Up” Crowe and the Six Companies. Plus, learn how the water from the dam was intended to be distributed… and how that’s changing today. Next, you’ll arrive in Boulder City, one of the state’s newest cities, and one created exclusively for the construction of the Hoover Dam. As you cruise through this unusual town, you’ll hear about a dramatic standoff between the dam’s builders and the Six Companies, as well as the truth behind the brutal working conditions the laborers suffered under. After that, you’ll reach Lake Mead Viewpoint, offering stellar views of the artificial lake created by the Hoover Dam. Then you’ll hear how workers actually built the dam, from the daring feats of the high scalers to the genius engineering that went into pouring the concrete. If you’d like to hike the route of old railroad tracks, you can do that next at the Historic Railroad Hiking Trail. Then, continue on to Lakeview Overlook, another fabulous spot to take in the scenery and snap some pictures of Lake Mead. As you approach the dam itself, you’ll have the option to stop at Boulder Dam Bridge Overlook for the best view of the Hoover Dam you’ll find anywhere. Then, you can choose whether to drive across the dam or park and walk along the rim yourself! Finally, you’ll arrive at the Hoover Dam Lookout on the dam’s far side, and hear what this dam means for the present and future of the southwest. Your tour concludes here.
IncludesA link to download the Action Tour Guide app and a unique password for your tour(s). An audio guide, location-aware map, and storyteller — all in one mobile app tour. Our mission: To explore the world and its many stories. Join us! Excellent value: Buy only one tour per car. Don’t hassle with “per person” bus tickets. Ease of use: Stories auto-play based on your location so you don’t have to do anything once you’ve started. Offline map: Works without a cell signal or wifi once downloaded. Hidden gems: Visit often-missed spots and enrich your experience with little-known history. Flexibility: Explore at your own pace with no fixed schedule. Take a break, a hike, whatever, and pick up where you left off! No expiration date: Your tour is valid for life. Listen whenever, wherever, and however often you want. All-day support line: Call, chat, or email for help.
- This tour is a self-guided mobile app tour with a map, audio stories, and images.
- Access the tour on the Action Tour Guide app (separate from the Get Your Guide app).
- Use the unique password received after booking to download & preview your specific tours before you arrive.
- Start at the Starting Point. Follow the tour route. All audio stories play automatically based on your location.
- Flexible schedule: Use it on any day and at any time, or over multiple days. No need to rebook if your travel plans change.
- Lifetime access: Use it on your next trip here! This tour never expires.
- Driving tours: Use one tour per car and connect to the car speakers.
- Get support by calling, chatting, or emailing - all day long.